May 3, 2012

Proactiv Commercial with Katy Perry


I saw this commercial and decided to write about it because I like Katy Perry and she’s in it. It’s a commercial for proactiv and it uses some propaganda techniques that we discussed in class. First, the biggest and most obvious one that’s used is testimonial. Testimonial is when a distinct character is portrayed or if someone well know, or famous, is used to help sell the product. Since Katy Perry is a huge star for her singing career almost everybody knows who she is, it’ll draw in a bigger crowd. People will want to use it because Katy Perry herself said it worked, and they think she must be a trustworthy person because they love her music. Another technique this commercial used was bandwagon because it said that proactive had an effect on men, women, teens, and adults, as in applying, it can help you because your within that group of people. During the entire commercial it showed step by step on how it works and how to use it which makes the audience feel like it’s a trustworthy product. Also, throughout the commercial there were many close up shots on the proactive bottle itself to help get the audience a better picture of what they were trying to sell.

3 comments:

  1. Ive seen this commercial a thousands time. I like the way they use testimonial with Katy and how its a common theme in other proactive commercials like with Justin Beiber. It gives the viewer a feel that even celebs would use it. I also like how they have lighting to show the results and they zoom in on Katy's face. The lighting is in the back usually a spot light giving Katy a glow like a hidden message of "Look at me." They way they direct is is nice for plain folk because its not directed just to the rich. I feel they use bandwagon a lot as well because there saying everyone is doing it, or go out and get it. Match cut seems to be used from a face to a face after using the product like Katie on the stage then to her sitting there for the commercial. Transfer is used as well claiming Proactive in some commercials is the best and will give you results. They also use medium shots mostly to show others shoulders or back and the results they got from using the cream. They always end with a loaded words screen after cutting to it right away at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMjvSxe1x8

    I've noticed that Proactive commercials usually keep the same layout for their advertisements like the use of testimonial propaganda. For example, the above link is Proactive commercial featuring Julianne Hough, the famous actress from Dancing with the Stars. The commercial begins with Hough introducing the new and improved line of Proactive and jumps right into comparing herself to the audience and how she can relate to them. She boldly announces that she chose Proactive and tells the audience that "it's time to do something about it." The commercial continues with consumers raving how Proactive worked for them and how effective it is. The commercial ends with Hough telling the audience that "clear skin is sexy skin", with the final words on the screen saying "show acne who's boss." I feel this commercial is a perfect combination of the three appeals of testimonial, emotion, and reasoning. The intent of a commercial is the grasp the audiences' attention. Proactive producers succeed with this intent by hiring a famous actress that successfully delivers the message of the commercial. All three of the appeals are clearly used and are put together in a perfect combination that pulls the entire commercial together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this commercial! And I love that Proactive uses testimonial to sell their products. I think the way they use testimonail is definatley effective because it convinces people that the product actually works. After seeing a Proactiv commercial, lots of people will probably think that if they buy that product, they will end up looking like a beautiful celebrity like Katy Perry. I also like how positive the commercials are. I think the upbeat backround music really makes a signfigant difference and helps person choose to buy the product or not.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.