This
commercial for Pepsi uses sex appeal, testimonial, color scheme, and snob
appeal to gain viewers’ attention. It starts off by showing Britney Spears from
the back, disguised as a Pepsi worker. When she turns around, the commercial
suddenly turns into a music video, complete with background dancers. There are several quick, extreme close-ups on her face before the whole group of dancers is shown. This ad
uses sex appeal by showing Britney in scant, tight-fitting clothing and dancing
suggestively. There are a lot of quick shots used to match the beat of the
music. This ad also uses a bit of humor by showing people watching her on the
television, like a diner full of people and an older man with his dog. The color
scheme in the ad is mostly red, white, and blue to match the Pepsi logo and
further reinforce the company image and product to the viewer. On several of
the back-up dancers’ shirts there is even the Pepsi logo itself. By using a celebrity,
the product will immediately attract attention from viewers, especially fans of
Britney Spears. It makes the product seem “cool”, because she’s advocating for
it and a lot of people (at the time) wanted to be like her. This can also be
tied into snob appeal for making the product seem like the cool thing to be
drinking.
May 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pepsi
ReplyDeleteShelby, I defiantly agree with you, the intent of the director was to use sex appeal. There’s no doubt about that. The commercial is meant to appeal to men because she’s dressed like a rather sexy crop top and skin tight pants. And just in case men didn’t realize they were supposed to find Brittney sexy, it’s okay because the director has chosen to show other men in awe of her and a random dog. This commercial is meant to appeal to upper class. The beat is catchy and is surely intended to stick in your head. But the one chose of the director that I’m questioning is the choice of artist he used for the testimonial; Brittney Spears. It seems odd to me that anyone would want her to endorse their product because she went psycho and shaved her head years ago; which is not very sexy, but I expect you are not supposed to take note of her previous endeavors while you are jamming out to the catchy rhythm. Which I can’t lie I keep replaying the commercial because the I like the song. I just realized this commercial was made in 2001~therefore it this was used prior to her losing it which makes more since but is a shame for Pepsi to have used her at all.