When I was watching tv this week, I saw the commercial for a
2012 Volkswagen. The commercial uses
humor throughout. In the beginning of
the commercial, a lazy and chubby dog is shown in his house. The dog is then shown trying to go through it’s
dog door, but is unable to because of his recent weigh gain. Not even a dog can escape weight
problems. The music that is playing
during this scene is also very slow and calm, which goes along with the dogs
current situation. Then the music
changes into upbeat music. The song that is playing is “Get Up Offa That
Thing” by James Brown. Mis en scene is
used when the dog drops a ball down a staircase, and the ball bounces to the
beat of the song. The song also helps to go along with the next scene. The next scene is a montage of the dog working
out. Jump cuts are used during the
montage, showing the viewer all the training the dog was going through. In the final scene, the dog sees an
Volkswagen car driving by, and decides to chase after it. But this time, he is able to fit through his
dog door. The commercial then ends with
a cliché by saying “Back and better than ever.”
May 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have also seen this commercial. I thought it was very funny. I agree that this commercial uses humor to appeal to its audience. I noticed many camera angles and shots throughout this commercial. When it first starts and the dog is laying on the couch, a medium shot is used in order for you to see the car drive by in the street in the background. Also, in the scene where he is pulling the rug full of weights, a low angle shot was used in order to make the dog look big and powerful, showing that he is improving. In the scene where the dog is laying below the kid who is throwing food at him, a close up shot is used to show that the dog is sad that he couldn't eat any of the food that was being dropped because he was trying to lose weight. This entire commercial was just one big montage showing the dog's improvements over time and showing some of the things he did to improve.
ReplyDelete