February 16, 2012

The Vow

This weekend I went to go see the newest most talked about romance movie. Being a sucker for these kinds of films I knew I was going to fall in love with it. The storyline was about a newly wedded couple that had been in an accident and the wife had lost certain parts of her memory, and her husband had to try and win her back. Of course she could only remember parts of her life before she even met him, and during these parts of her life she was a totally different person.
One scene that really stuck out to me in this film was when she just had returned back home after the accident and her husband had surprised her with a welcome home party. She didn't know who anyone was and felt overwhelmed. During this scene the camera had been kinda shaking, as you saw the party through her eyes, and it make a lot of jumps around to different people in the room. The shots were edited to be short, and they made me dizzy and uncomfortable, and that was exactly how she was feeling during the scene. The editing in this movie made you feel exactly how the character felt, and thats exactly what they should be doing. It makes you relate to the movie and it drags you in more, because you could feel and relate to the character.

5 comments:

  1. I saw The Vow the other night to see if it was actually any good or if it was just another cheesy love movie pulling in every single girl wishing Channing Tatum was theirs. I heard people cried during this movie and even though I didn’t I could see why they did. The way it was put together made it have that effect on the viewers. Throughout the movie Leo was trying to get Paige’s memory back. It opened up with the car accident happening, which caused the memory loss but then it would cut back to 4 years prior to show what kind of relationship Leo and Paige had. Small montages in the movie showed a number of events happening over a period of time such as when Leo and Paige first meet to them getting married. With the use of this montage it let the movie focus longer on the present of Leo trying to save their marriage, which at times the mood would get really intense. I definitely agree that the one scene with the people at the party had a feeling of dizziness and discomfort because of the way it was shot. It set the mood for how Paige felt and it made the viewer feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I went to see The Vow, Hollywood’s latest romantic love tale. The thing that really intrigued me is that this movie is actually based on a true story about a couple that was married and happily in love, but following a car accident, the wife doesn’t remember her husband or even that she was married. I always enjoy watching a cheesy love story, but the one problem I have is that they all seem to have a very similar plot. The Vow, however, has a unique storyline that sets it apart from any of the romantic movies I’ve seen recently. One of the things that made The Vow unique was the editing style used, which include several flashbacks to Leo and Paige’s relationship before the accident. These clips help to add to the story and demonstrate just how in love the two were. Throughout the movie, you learn more and more about what their relationship was like before the accident and how different everything is for both of them after. The characterization of Leo as a man who is willing determined to fight for Paige’s love helps add to one of the main themes of the movie, which is to never give up on love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see The Vow Sunday thinking I would fall in love with it as I fell in love with The Notebook. I personally didn't like it because I felt the camera work could have been produced better. For example, when the director did a medium shot when he should have done a close up. They were trying to express their feelings when Channing Tatum looked deeply into Pagie's eyes to try to make all their old feelings come back. A close up or maybe even extreme close up would have been better to help get the seriousness of how hard he was trying to get her to remember for the audience to understand. On a better note I thought the lighting was used precise. Like for instance when Paige came home, he threw her a surprise party and the dimming of the lights set the mood to let the audience guess something was to come. Soon to find out he put together a surprise party for her when the lights got brighter and the people jumped out. Overall, the movie was well put together as were the sound effects of the car accident and the slow motion of the camera work. The sounds really made the audience realize how bad the accident was. And the slow motion with the camera emphasized the damages the car and people took in the accident. Such as when Pagie bashed her face through the windshield and ending up out of her set, projected onto the front of the car. That being in slow motion made her injury seem a lot more life threatning as if she was going to die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also went to go see The Vow, I'm a sucker for chick flicks. This had been one of the most talked about movies for weeks now, even though most of the reviews for it have said it was terrible it was still one of the best movies I've seen in the past few mouths. It starts with Leo and Paige walking out of a movie theater and getting into a car accident. This cause Paige to loose some of her memory and she wakes up in the hospital not even remembering her own husband and only remembering last being engaged to her old high school sweet heart. Throughout the movie Leo tries his hardest to make Paige remember what they had together and how much they truly are in love.
    During the car accident scene the camera slows down the scene so you can see just how everything happens and how Paige lost her memory. Also the movie has back tracking to were it goes back four years and show how her life used to be and how different she used to act. Another scene is when Leo bring Paige home from the hospital and he has all their friends waiting at their house for surprise her but she ends up getting mad about everything. In this scene the camera work look like its her eyes looking at everyone. This show how really overwhelming and scary everything must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also saw the Vow, yes I am a guy and I did go with a girl. I didn't like it at all, but my date did. Anyways the Movie opens with a long shot of a couple walking out to their car, once they get to their car they have many medium shots of them in the car then they have them at a stop sign, also a medium shot until they get hit by a plow, during this shot they have some medium shots, they have close ups of Paige smashing her face into the window and eventually landing on top of the hood. This whole sceen was done in slow motion and in the end has a long shot of the wrecked car. After the accident they have a montage of all the important parts in the couples wife, for example it shows how they met, it shows there wedding which was in a musame, until they get caught then it has a another montage of everyone running. At the end of the Montage we start off in the hospital and it is the beginning of the next scene and the story contuniues, in the end of the movie paige still doesn't remember anything, but they start off the way that they started, with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.