February 16, 2012
That 70's Show
That 70's show is a television show that was filmed in the 2000's but the setting takes place in the 1970's. The characters all dress, talk, and act as if they are living in the 1970's. All of the set pieces look like they are straight from the '70's too. In the episode that I recently watched, the 6 main charcters were all hanging out together in Eric Foreman's basement. They were sitting at a round table together and having a funny conversation.The way this scene was filmed made it especially funny. The camera was placed in the middle of the table and it was focused on just one character at a time (the chaarcter that was speaking) and it would be a shot from the chest up. This camera angle gave the illusion that you (the audience) are sitting at the table with the characters and are part of the conversation. After one person would be done talking, the camera would shift back or forth to the next person to speak. The camera angle put you in the perspective of being the eyes of a person that was sitting at the table. I thought this was really cool and made the scene so much funnier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is such a great show and those conversation scenes are the best! You are able to get the view points of each character and the camera angle makes you feel like you’re there, talking face to face with them. The one extraordinary thing about this show is that it is relatable to all generations. The series first started in 1998. Now, in 2012 it is still as popular as ever. The 1970 teens in the show were able to not only make a connection with young kids in the 90’s, but the 2000s as well. It is funny to see that no matter the time period, all teenagers have the same personality. We all want to be independent, to be in love, and to simply have a good time (and not to mention resists authority occasionally). When I watch the show I can pick out certain qualities or ambitions that I share with each character. I definitely have Eric Foreman’s wimpy nature, and Donna’s feminist ideology. Also, in each of those characters, I can see the personalities of my friends. Many TV shows and movies can’t withstand the generation gap. Only films, such as “That 70s Show,” with that special relatable quality are able to do that.
ReplyDeleteI also love "That's 70 Show" and have noticed that in just about every episode they have a table talk and it is filmed the same way. I agree with you the way the director choices to shot this particular scene like this to make the audience feel as though they are a part of conversation. In general I’ve also noticed that the director mostly uses flood lights in the kitchen and in their drive way to create a happier, funnier mood compared to any scenes shot in the kids’ bedrooms which are shot with low lighting to intensify the atmosphere of the scene. I like Kariann have also noticed that anytime there is a discussion among the characters where they’re sitting either at the kitchen table or in the basement the camera always uses a panning motion to move from one character to the next as the conversation continues. Corinne, I love your take on the show! I’ve never realized that before but you’re right the success of the show hasn’t changed with the times and it is all due to the fact that the mind state of teenagers doesn’t change. Although, what we wear on the outside looks different over the years our thought process and things we like doesn’t. That defiantly sets the show apart from many others.
ReplyDelete"That 70's Show" has always been a favorite show of mine when I was growing up. One reason why I always liked the show was because of its camera work that helped to make you feel like you were really there with the characters. The classic “circle” scene is a classic example of this, as Keriann mentioned, where a panning motion is used. The show always uses spilt screens very often. The spilt screens are used when a character is talking to another character. This allows for the viewer to feel like they are actually talking to the character. I also agree with Corinne’s point, that the show is very timeless, and the situations can be applied to modern day life, even though it was based in the 1970s. The average teenager can easily relate to the show due to it being very relatable. As Jen mentioned, teenagers will always be in the same state of mind, causing them to sometimes make bad decisions (like on the show). One of my favorite parts of the show was the classic scene changes, showing the characters dancing around in front of colorful backgrounds. Sometimes they might foreshadow a possible action of a character or what is yet to come.
ReplyDelete