May 4, 2012

Workaholics


I recently watched an episode of one of my favorite TV shows, Workaholics. The series follows the lives of three coworkers, Blake, Adam, and Anders, and their various adventures. The episode was titled “Man Up,” and involved the three coworkers embarking on a “man trip,’ in which they plan to participate in “manly” activities because they feel as though they are too feminine in nature. I feel that the actors Anders Holm, Blake Anderson, and Adam DeVine naturally fit the persona for the characters they play, and this character match hereby enhances the series as it adds to the plot, and definitely adds to the humor. I noticed that medium shots were used in scenes when characters were conversing, which exemplified the characters’ facial expressions. I believe these medium shots allow the audience to feel as though they too are involved in the conversation, listening in on what the characters have to say. As the facial expressions evident in these medium shots convey the characters’ emotions and feelings, I feel these shots allow the viewer to better connect with the characters, enhancing the viewing experience. During a scene in which the coworkers are involved in a car chase, I noticed music was used to dramatize the scene. Slow motion was also used in one part the aforementioned scene, again in order to dramatize the car chase.

1 comment:

  1. Workaholics is also a favorite show of mine. The episode "Man Up" implies a certain character or stereotype. Their choice of dress, activity and way of reason change in order to change their "feminine ways." Medium and long shots are usually used to show the three men in all one shot. Each of the men have a clear personality difference, usually Adam and Anders competing against each other. A deep focus shot is always used to show Anders and Adam in the front while Blake has little influence in decisions sitting in the back seat. The humor is outstanding and targets a younger audience who may not take everything seriously. Revenge, competition, and having a fun time are common in all episodes. Ander's teaches a homeless man how to drive as Blake drives for his frist time without a liscense. This is one of many examples of stupid ideas they have. The car chase is dramatic with the racing music, quick shot duration and yelling. I agree the medium shots enhance the viewing because you can see all the expressions on their faces. Their plan to be men hardly worked leaving them with hopeless at accomplishing anything that went wrong. The disappointment eventually turned into happiness as the men realize why they are friends and teamwork is the best route.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.