March 30, 2012

How I Met Your Mother

The episode I watched this week was about the story of Marshall's first car, a 1980s Pontiac Fiero.  His goal for that car was to get it to 200,000 miles but as he was on his last .8 of a mile it broke down.  The episode consisted of all the characters sharing the stories they had of the car.  What I found interesting was the way the director expressed the time frame of the flashback.  As the characters were explaining their experience the Fiero's odometer would pop on screen to display the current mileage of the car and acts as milestone for the cast. The flashbacks and subsequent stories are tied to the car through the miles travelled and milestones they represent.  Also key to the story of this episode was the music.  The story goes that a cassette of the song "I'm Gonna Be" by the Proclaimers got stuck in the fiero when Marshall received it as a teenager.  So throughout every scene taking place in the Fiero the classic melody of the identical Scottish twin brothers could be heard.  This helped to connect the transitions more fluidly as well as add some flare  in my opinion.  In the end Marshall decides to lay the Fiero to rest in dignity, but its okay because as he was saying his farewells he got his cassette tape out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.